Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Otter's Lunch

 While driving Old Petty Harbour Road today, I came upon four otters lying on the ice enjoying their lunches.
 I pulled off on the narrow shoulder of the road and grabbed a few shots of one of them before a car came along.
 This otter had a big fish and was working away at it, quickly. Otters eat approximately 1/3 of their body weight in a day. With otters weighing anywere from 35 lbs to 100 lbs, that could amount to a lot of fish. Although fish is not all they eat, but when fish are obviously as plentiful as they are, why not? I wonder if the fish in First Pond are good for people....
 With the teeth on this creature, the truth is...it can eat anything it wants to.
With those teeth and those bear-size claws, I will keep my distance for all otters in the future. They are cute to look at, from a distance.

1 comment: